Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Arielle's Word of the Day #26: PURPOSE

Almost 5 years ago, this was the first post on Actively Arielle:

I have started this blog to support eating disorder recovery and to help others along their way. I'm dedicated to contributing something, however small, to those who are in a position I know too well. It's really a blog for others.

I have a lot of writings from over the years--writings from when I was dealing with anorexia--that I'd like to display because they are a voice that can speak to others. I have poetry, dialogues, rants, entries, etc. These will be slowly posted here. I think sharing is important and extremely beneficial. I know that when I was struggling I would have loved to read writings about eating disorders (and all the respective emotions) on someone's blog--someone who I knew recovered. It's about hope. It's about strength. It's about turning tears to words so we all have something to work with, something to go to, and something to feel besides the pain and confusion.

Writing and sharing is a way to showcase the struggles, the battles, and the pain so that we end up coming out on top. I've learned to be actively ME--a me with whom I am happy. I've learned to live a life with which I am content. But to make a new beginning, one must first realize many things about the self, about the goal, and about the tendency to relapse, revisit, and revert to old habits.

Basically, what I'm saying is: I'd like to help.

So, read, comment, and feel free to email. We can help each other.


The blog took off and became an activist and motivational speaker and support group leader and a professional. But before all that, it started just as simply as stated above. That has always been my purpose, here and in life - to turn tears to words, to give hope, to help. I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Actually, ever.

3 comments:

Sia Jane said...

It is in the sharing <3

Cheryl said...

Love this.

I remember a while ago, I was looking for recovery-related websites or blogs and found very little. I got directed to (a lot of) pro-anorexia sites, and the few blogs or sites I did find were mostly aimed at teenagers (great for the teenagers concerned but it made me feel like a dinosaur).

I've said it before, but this blog and the Youtube channel have been amazing resources for me in own recovery. You know when people say 'If I could just help one person...'? You have helped me HUGELY. I admire you so much for all you have done and continue to do. Now that I am a bit more comfortable in my own skin, I'm also looking into volunteering opportunities so that I can share or offer something from my own experiences. And maybe help people.

It's like lighting a single candle, isn't it? You light mine, I light someone else's, they light someone else's after that...or at least that's the hope xxx

Arielle Bair, MSW, LSW said...

Thanks, Cheryl :-) Yes, it is just like lighting a candle! I'm so glad you felt supported and helped by my blog and videos. You will be a light in the world too. :-)